Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Rainbow Dash cosplay repairs


My very first cosplay needs some love before it can be dusted off again.  My friends Ayla of Antipode Geek Belly Dance and Glitterforge wanted to do a group cosplay for ConnectiCon 2012.  We decided to go as characters from My Little Pony.  Glitterforge went as Shining Armor, Ayla as Twilight Sparkle, and I went as Rainbow Dash.  Merika, Ayla's sister (and a domo), made us these fantastic cloaks with our cutie marks!  So totally awesome!

MLP My Little Pony cutie mark cloaks made by Merika of Antipode
Cutie Mark cloaks made by Merika!

Having not worn the cosplay since then, all the stuff was thrown on a shelf after last year's convention.  Literally.  Was not even thrown in the wash (I know, right? Eww).

Does washing count as costume repair?  Probably not.  Hygienic, yes.  I didn't plan too terribly well on making this easy to wash.  The wings were sewn directly onto the hoodie.  I had to cut all the stitches to stick into the wash. 

MLP Rainbow Dash cosplay wings made by Elathera
Rainbow Dash wings - with cute visible stitching around the edges


As for the skirt, my concern here was that the cutie mark colors would bleed.  The cutie mark was made from felt, and the bottom (blue) layer hand-sewn onto the skirt. The yellow and red lightning bolts as well as the white cloud were tacked on with Elmer's adhesive spray.  I got lazy and only removed the bolts and clouds before washing and seemed to have no issues (phew!).

I also picked up a pair of butt shorts months ago for this cosplay (and am still working up the courage to wear them publicly).  I made even tinier felt cutie marks for the shorts --- and let me tell you, it is darn hard to cut things that small when your scissors are dull!

MLP Rainbow Dash cosplay jean skirt and butt shorts with cutie mark by Elathera
Cutie mark skirt and shorts after washing and repairs

I left the wig repairs until last.  After 2 days of con wear, the poor thing has lost some of its shape, especially toward the "roots".  Wigs are definitely a struggle point for me... I ran into similar issues on my Rydia costume.  Totally open to suggestions if anyone out there has some good advice! 

MLP Rainbow Dash cosplay wig purchased from Amazon styled by Elathera
Rainbow Dash cosplay wig - before and after styling



No comments:

Post a Comment