Sunday, July 21, 2013

Rydia Wig

I've saved the details on the best cosplay pieces for last: Rydia's dress, circlet, and her hairdo.  Ok, I didn't really save them on purpose... they were the last pieces to be constructed.  But!---you do have to admit, the wig and main clothing are essential to a successful cosplay.

Let's start with the wig first.  I spent several hours trying to search for the right wig.  Most of the options were just simply waaaaay too green.  Super green.  Neon green.  Totally-not-right-for-this-version-of-Rydia-green.  Must...have...gorgeous... sea form green.  A-ha! There we go!

Mint green curly wig for Rydia cosplay

I found this "mint green" curly cosplay wig on Amazon for $30.  It looked pretty good when it arrived---but I am by no means any sort of wig expert.  The curls are more gorgeous in reality than the photo above, which just doesn't do them justice.  I was loathe to trim them off ;_; but...sacrifices must be made for the sake of accurate cosplay!  Ganbatte, Elathera!

Rydia of Mist FF4 final fantasy iv cosplay green wig styled by Elathera

Here you can see what it looked like after styling.  I did keep a slight bit of the original curl at the bottom.  I also attempted to use layers in the back.  The Styrofoam head is sitting on top of an empty wine bottle to keep the lengths nice for storage.

I used got2Bglued hair spray to hold everything in place.  It held up ok the first day of ConnectiCon in the air conditioning.  However, after wandering around in 90 degree weather, it did not hold up as well the next day.  I think one of the problems is that I do not use enough hairspray on the roots---the tips keep their general shape, but the lock of hair itself falls out of place.  If anyone has advice for me, I am all ears!  I never use hairspray on my own hair (or pins, or curlers, etc etc), so this totally foreign territory.

No comments:

Post a Comment