Thursday, July 4, 2013

Rydia Sleeves, Part III

Only two parts remained to finish for Rydia's sleeves:

  1. Incorporate gold-colored string ties for the upper arm
  2. Add the starry details
Rydia FF4 sleeve detail

For the upper arm tie, I decided to use gold eyelets and weave a thin rope through the openings.  I bought one of those multi-dial eyelet crimper tools.  The tool itself worked nicely.  The tool in the hands of yours truly, however, ran into a small snag along the way.  The multi-tool ended up being too handy for me... when the gadget is squeezed shut, it has three different (simultaneous) uses:  1) make a 1/8 inch width hole in your fabric, 2) make a 3/16 inch hole, and 3) crimps eyelets shut.   Yours truly was trying to do #1 and had the fabric all bunched up in my hand, so I actually did #1 where the eyelet was intended to go (hooray!) and inadvertently made a small hole with #2 in the sleeve (doh!).

Rydia of Mist FFIV sleeve eyelets by Elathera
As for the stars, I thought embroidery would look the best. But, there are a lot of stars, and...

...so I listened to my husband (for once) and went with his suggestion to try airbrushing instead.  By making star-shaped stencils and using airbrush fabric paint, I was able to get crisp edges and vibrant color without having any nasty paintstroke lines.  I wish I had bothered with airbrushing around the sleeve opening, as that did have paintstroke lines.  It was actually kind of fun to use and gives a great result (with a little bit of patience to figure out how to spray evenly).  At least, it was fun for the first couple stars.  After that, it was downright tedious.  There are about two dozen stars on one side of the sleeve.  With two sleeves and two sides each, we're talking roughly 100 stars to airbrush!

Rydia cosplay FF4 airbrushed sleeves by Elathera

A word of advice: use a hairdryer on a low heat setting to expedite the drying time for airbrushed paint.  Also, music and/or mindless tv shows on Netflix help to pass the time.

No comments:

Post a Comment